DALLAS—KoonsFuller CEO and Managing Shareholder Ike Vanden Eykel announced the finalists for the KoonsFuller Family Law Foundation awards. The 16 finalists were selected from 30 non-profit organizations who applied for the 2018 charitable grants. The Foundation will award $200,000 in grants to the charities selected by a panel of notable judges from North Texas and Houston.
“Our judges are as distinguished and diverse as the charities they will be judging. Each one of our judges is well-known for their leadership in North Texas and Houston,” said Vanden Eykel. “Each finalist has a storied and important history that we respect. It is an honor for us to learn more about their contributions to the families in our communities. It will be a tough decision.”
The North Texas judges for the 2018 awards are:
1. Marcos G. Ronquillo: A well-known veteran trial lawyer, Ronquillo is a partner at Fishman Jackson Ronquillo.
2. Cathy Maher: Maher served as Executive Director of the Dallas Bar Association for 37 years before her retirement in 2016.
3. Robert W. Jordan: Jordan is Diplomat in Residence and Adjunct Professor of Political Science at Southern Methodist University.
Judges for the Houston area include:
1. Jeff Bagwell: Long-time first baseman for the Houston Astros, Bagwell was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2017.
2. David Farr: Farr is the presiding judge of the 312th Judicial District Court of Harris County.
3. Chita Craft: Craft joined KHOU 11 News in 2011 as a meteorologist and can be seen each day on News This Morning.
The award finalists selected in Houston are:
1. Bo’s Place
2. Casa de Esperanza de los Ninos
4. Elijah Rising
5. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Texas Gulf Coast
6. Lone Star Legal Aid
7. Small Steps Nurturing Center
The finalists chosen in the North Texas area are:
1. Alliance for Children
2. Dallas Theater Center
3. Family Compass
4. Family Place
5. Hope Supply Co.
6. JDRF, Greater Dallas
7. Promise House
8. Resource Center of Dallas
9. Trinity Basin Preparatory
Grant winners will be announced at two 40th anniversary celebration events held in Dallas on November 2 and in Houston on November 4.
The KoonsFuller Family Law Foundation builds on a 40-year platform of giving back through volunteerism, advocacy, pro bono and financial support of charities that serve Dallas, Denton, Houston, Plano and Southlake-Fort Worth. The Foundation will continue its mission to support the dignity and personal growth of the people in the communities where our attorneys and clients live and work. We do this by supporting charitable and civic organizations that serve, nurture, lift-up, inform and educate individuals and families so they have additional and better opportunities to pay it forward and contribute to others.
Founded in 1978, KoonsFuller is the largest family law-focused civil litigation firm in Texas and the Southwest. Firm lawyers represent clients in divorce. KoonsFuller has five offices in Texas – Dallas, Denton, Houston, Plano and Southlake. The firm has been named a “Tier 1” firm in both Dallas and Houston for family law by U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” in 2018.