There are 6 million auto accidents in the U.S. every year; 27% of those result in non-fatal injuries and 72% in property damage.
If you were in an auto accident, you need to speak with an attorney for car crashes right away to fight for your rightful compensation. If you’re new to this process, it can be a little intimidating.
Here are some questions to ask when searching for the right attorney for your case.
1. References and Reviews
The first step is finding the right attorney for your case. Auto accident attorneys take cases dealing with personal injury, property destruction, liability determinations, and wrongful death.
Once you have a list of attorneys that specialize in these cases, research their background and any references and reviews. During a scheduled free consultation, although names and specifics usually aren’t given, ask for general information about similar cases.
Look at their website. Look for reviews and testimonials from clients like on SweetLaw.com. A good attorney will have a good track record that they want to show off.
2. License and Insurance
The attorney you select needs proper licensure and to have adequate insurance coverage to represent you in that state.
Here are some questions to ask:
- What law school did you attend?
- When did you graduate?
- How long have you practiced law in (your state)?
- Do you specialize in personal injury?
- Are you properly insured?
3. Experience With Car Accidents
Do you want an attorney who has years of experience with auto accidents or someone who recently passed the bar? To find someone with the right experience, ask these questions:
- How many similar cases have you handled and what was the outcome?
- How many cases have gone to trial in a year?
- Are the majority of your cases personal injury?
- Do you have any special training that will help my case?
- Will you personally handle my case?
These are all important to know. Choose an attorney that has taken similar cases with a good outcome. Make sure these questions are answered with confidence and without hesitation.
4. Should I Pursue the Case?
If you or a loved one was injured or if there were damages, you’ll want compensation. Talk with your lawyer and see if this case is worth pursuing to receive payment.
Many variables go into whether or not your case is worth fighting. Here are the basics:
- A full investigation of the incident must take place including the collection of police reports, medical records, witness statements, and photographs
- Determining who is at fault
- Insurance companies are contacted
- All damages and losses are recorded, including medical fees, lost wages, pain and suffering, cost to repair damages, and all the time going into the case
- What are the extent of your injuries?
All of this information is gathered and documented. A good attorney knows if this is enough to convince a judge and jury that your claim deserves compensation.
5. Common Attorney Fees
Fees are different and depend on the firm. Ask these questions to understand what fees might be included:
- Do you charge hourly or is there a contingency fee?
- What are the expenses I can expect to pay?
- How much can I expect to have after legal fees and other expenses?
Need an Attorney for Car Crashes?
Were you recently involved in an accident? Are you searching for an attorney for car crashes? Don’t forget to ask your lawyer these important questions!
Interested in reading more legal advice? Check out the rest of our blog!