Denton County DWI Attorney
- Vetted by Attorney at Law Magazine
- Knowledgeable & Reliable
- Ready to Help in Denton County
- Contributor to Attorney at Law Magazine
Attorney at Law Magazine’s Denton County Workers' Compensation Local Legal Authority.
Your Denton County DWI Attorney
About Deandra M. Grant
Deandra M. Grant, JD, GC, MS is a 27-year criminal defense attorney and forensic consultant. She is the Managing Partner of Deandra Grant Law’s five offices in DFW and Austin. A national speaker on DWI law, science and trial skills, as well as the co-author of the annually updated The Texas DWI Manual, Deandra is known as “The Lawyer Lawyers Call”. She’s also VP of Living the Doxie Dream Rescue and Sanctuary in Royse City. When not “lawyering”, Deandra is a wife, mom, painter, wine collector and dog rescuer.
Attorney's Latest Articles
When to Work With a DWI Attorney in Denton County
If you have been charged with driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Denton County, Texas, you may be feeling scared and overwhelmed. These charges can come with severe consequences, including jail time, substantial fines, and suspension of your driver’s license.
DWI Basics in Denton County, Texas
What constitutes a DWI and the related consequences will depend on the state in which you are driving. In Texas, a DUI typically results in a small fine, some community service, mandatory alcohol awareness classes, or at worse a suspension of your drivers’ license. However, a DWI can result in very extreme results. Let’s look into some of the basics when it comes to getting a DWI in Texas:
- Blood Alcohol Concentration. The legal limit for blood alcohol concentration (BAC) in Texas is 0.08%. More stringent requirements apply to commercial drivers, and the legal limit is generally lower.
- Criminal Charge. In Texas, a first-time DWI offense can range from a Class B misdemeanor to a felony depending on the BAC, any prior DWI convictions, and whether there was an accident with serious injuries or death.
If you have been charged with a DWI, there are a number of factors to consider as you approach your defense. A DWI lawyer in Denton County with advanced knowledge in forensic science will be able to help you understand the process, analyze the evidence clearly, and develop a strategy.
How a DWI Attorney in Denton County Can Help
Working with the best Denton County DWI attorney will be essential to ensuring that you achieve the best possible result in your Texas DWI case. A DWI attorney can help navigate all aspects of the proceeding, including:
- Ensuring Proper Protocol. When arresting someone for a DWI, the police are required to follow a strict protocol. For example, a police officer must have probable cause to pull over your vehicle. An attorney can help review your specific case and determine if any protocol was violated. If so, the odds of overturning the arrest are significantly higher.
- Understand the Charge. As noted above, whether a DWI charge is a misdemeanor, felony or worse will depend on several factors. A lawyer can help you understand the severity of the charges you are facing.
- Evaluating Consequences. The consequences of a DWI offense can be numerous and varied. In addition to jail time and fines, it can include suspension of your license, an increase in your insurance fees, and also the potential loss of your job depending on your profession. Because a DWI offense is a criminal charge, it may show up on background checks run by future employers.
- Negotiating a Plea. A DWI lawyer can help you decide how to plead and can strategize whether it makes sense to accept a plea or to take the case to trial. What can be achieved with a plea bargain will depend on the jurisdiction in which you are facing charges and the strengths or weaknesses of your case. With a skilled DWI attorney, you may be able to avoid a number of the consequences associated with the charge.
Given the serious impact a DWI arrest can have on your future, securing a skilled and competent DWI attorney in Denton County can make all the difference in your case.
Reach out today to schedule an appointment to discuss your legal needs and the availability of Deandra M. Grant to handle your matter.
How We Select a
Local Legal Authority
Contributor to Magazine
The attorney must contribute valuable articles about their practice area to share with our readers in the Legal Advice section.
Maintain a 4+ Consumer Rating
The attorney must maintain a Google review rating of 4 or more stars.
Practice Law for 5+ Years
The attorney must have been licensed to practice law for at least five years and must have maintained an active practice.