About St. Paul Family Law
Divorce is never easy but sometimes it’s the only solution. Whether you chose to end your marriage or you’re struggling with your spouse’s decision, the process is often complicated. Divorce is an emotional restructuring of your family’s life but it’s also a financial and legal process. If you’ve already made the critical divorce decision, it’s important to work with an attorney who understands that everything you do can affect your future.
Whether you choose to contest your divorce or work out a mutual agreement, you must still comply with state and local statutes and legal and financial responsibilities. When you have children, you must resolve custody issues. If you have a home, a car, and other financial assets, you must establish a method for equitable distribution. If only one spouse works outside of the home, spousal support is also a consideration.
An St. Paul attorney who specializes in Family Law can help you take the proper steps to resolve your divorce-related issues. A St. Paul family lawyer provides services that protect your legal, financial, and familial rights while resolving your legal complications.
Experienced Legal Advocacy
St. Paul Family lawyers specialize in divorce cases and other issues involving children and families. Their focus on family law gives them a comprehensive understanding of Family Law statutes, divorce procedures, and regional courtroom traditions. A family lawyer in St. Paul has the experience to work through anticipated and unexpected issues.
- Child custody arrangements
- Child visitation
- Child support agreements
- Spousal support
- Hidden financial assets
- Distribution of assets
St. Paul Family attorneys represent your legal interests and help you achieve the best possible outcome for your family. To accomplish this, they look at the evidence and issues and make objective assessments. They get to know you, your family and every detail about you and your spouse’s circumstances. Only then can they provide honest feedback about your most favorable legal and financial alternatives.
Comprehensive Case Preparation
A divorce is a legal process. Just like other legal issues, preparation makes a big difference in the ultimate outcome. As a St. Paul family lawyer reviews your case, they consider what they need to succeed on your behalf:
- Court Requirements: Filings, pleadings, agreements, statements, depositions
- Expert consultants: Specialists in family, financial, and social issues
- Witnesses: Personal and professional support for your financial, family, and legal positions
- Hearings: Compliance with a court-ordered discovery and negotiation schedules
- Communication: Interaction with court officials, judges, and opposing counsel
Divorce Resolution in St. Paul
St. Paul Family Law attorneys understand that to resolve your pending divorce case, you and your spouse must address the key issues. This is usually difficult for divorcing couples to accomplish without a family law attorney’s communication and negotiation skills.
- Negotiated settlements: Attorneys resolve cases by negotiating your position with the spouse’s attorney.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: Divorcing parties and their attorneys participate in a facilitated negotiation process such as mediation. Parties present their evidence in a neutral setting, discuss their positions, and sometimes resolve difficult issues.
- Court Hearings: Attorneys and the divorcing spouses eventually appear before an arbitrator, magistrate, judge or another court official. During a hearing, court officials encourage settlement negotiations. During a trial, parties present their evidence and a judge issues a decision on the divorce and all unresolved issues.
Contact a St. Paul Family Law Attorney
Divorce is hard. The certainty that you’re making the right decision doesn’t prevent the roller coaster highs and emotional lows. Family lawyers can’t take away the anxiety or eliminate a lifetime of memories, but through their efforts, they can help you gain peace of mind.
While you’re taking care of your family and adjusting to your new reality, St. Paul family attorneys handle the difficult interactions and issues. They protect your rights and help you work through the legal, financial, and family complications.