5 Things You Should Know About Not Paying Child Support

State and federal laws require parents to provide financial support to their minor children. When parents are unable to reach an agreement on how to allocate support for their children the court intercedes and commonly orders the non-custodial parent to pay child support to the custodial parent. Court-ordered child support must be paid as mandated by the court and failure to pay is a violation of a court order.

Not paying court-ordered child support in the state of Oklahoma can result in serious consequences. If you have been ordered to pay child support and your financial situation has changed you are encouraged to speak with a Tulsa child support attorney. A Tulsa child support attorney can review your financial situation and possibly petition the court to modify the amount of support that you have been ordered to pay.

Common Consequences for Not Paying Child Support in Tulsa

Contempt of Court

When a parent fails to pay child support the non-custodial parent can petition the court to have the delinquent parent found in contempt of the court. If a parent routinely fails to pay child support they can be found guilty of criminal contempt which could be a felony or misdemeanor offense. Penalties are more severe if the delinquent parent is found in criminal contempt.

Wage Garnishment

When a parent fails to pay child support the parent who is owed the support can pursue civil collection efforts against that non-paying parent. Wage Garnishment is a common way of paying court-ordered child support in Oklahoma. However, if the custodial parent has agreed to another form of payment and the non-custodial parent defaults in making payments, the custodial parent may ask the court to issue an order that would require the employer to withhold child support from the delinquent parent’s income. 

Criminal Referral 

A parent who is owed child support can seek a criminal referral against the delinquent parent. Oftentimes law enforcement will bring charges against the delinquent parent for not paying their child support obligation. As an alternative to going to the police, the parent can instruct their attorney to ask the district attorney to prosecute the delinquent parent which could result in fines or incarceration.

Interception of Taxes

Child support cases administered through child support services are eligible for federal tax refund offset. If the children who are owed child support receive temporary assistance for needy families (TANF) or Medicaid and the delinquent parent is in arrears a minimum of $150.00 their federal tax returns can be intercepted. 

Passport Denial

The right to travel internationally can be denied to delinquent parents as the U.S. Department of State denies passports to those who owe at least $2500 in child support. 

How Can An Attorney Help Me 

Whether you have been ordered to pay child support or you are seeking adequate child support you are encouraged to speak with an experienced Tulsa child support attorney. The experienced child support attorneys of Boheim Freeman Law will walk you through the child support process so that you are informed of all the options available to you. If you wish to learn more about the child support options available to you, contact Boheim Freeman Law.

Popular Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Articles

Find a Lawyer   /   Ask a Question   /   Articles   /   About    Contact  

© Copyright 2022 | Attorney at Law Magazine | Privacy Policy