What You Need to Know About Georgia Work Injury Claims

In the state of Georgia, the State Board of Workers’ Compensation (SBWC) oversees the workers’ compensation program. Anyone who gets hurt while at work may get funds to cover medical expenses and lost wages because of your injury. In some cases, it may also be possible to receive compensation if you have become temporarily or permanently disabled.

Things to Know About Georgia Work Injury Claims

Before filing a worker’s comp claim, there are certain things you need to know. In addition, depending on the nature of your injury, it might be in your best interest to speak with a work injury lawyer in Georgia to ensure you’re getting fair compensation.


Judge Dan Hinde

Workers’ compensation was put in place to help protect both employers and employees. If you find yourself in need of filing a claim, here are some things you should know:

Make Sure to Report the Injury

As soon as possible, you want to make sure you report the injury to your boss or supervisor. In most cases, you have up to one month to report this information to the proper person, but getting it done sooner rather than later is in your best interest.

Get Medical Treatment

Depending on the nature of your injury, this may require a trip to the emergency room. If that is the case, getting treatment at the nearest facility is recommended. If you can wait for an appointment, you may get a list of approved providers from your employer. Choose your physician from that list.



While at your appointment, if the medical staff is not already aware, make sure you tell them that your injury is work-related. You usually have to fill out separate paperwork for workers’ comp claims and doing this from the beginning is beneficial.

In addition to getting medical treatment, it is also essential to follow the doctor’s medical advice. This will ensure that you heal as quickly as possible, significantly shortening your recovery time.

Let Your Employer Know What Is Going On

After talking to the doctor, you’ll need to let your employer know what’s going on. If you have been put on medical leave or have work restrictions, it is a good idea to get this in writing so that you can give it to your employer and keep a copy for yourself.

It is also a good idea to talk to your employer’s workers’ comp insurance company to let them know what is going on as well. You might need to send them copies of your medical documentation as well.

File a Claim With the SBWC

To ensure that your rights are protected, you will need to file a claim with the SBWC. After filling out Form WC-14, you will need to send a copy to your employer and their insurance provider for workers’ compensation.

There may be some exceptions to filling out this form, but that is something you will need to discuss with your lawyer. Otherwise, getting this paperwork taken care of as soon as possible works to your advantage.

Get a Copy of the Report

Remember that the first step of this process was to report the accident to your supervisor. Ask for a copy of that report. If they do not have one, you will need to write up your own document that notes the details of the incident.

Take Care of Yourself

Getting injured at work can be a life-changing moment. You need your job to provide you with money to live, and if you’re out of work, that compensation needs to come from somewhere. Workers’ comp should cover most of your expenses, but if it does not, that is when talking to a workers’ compensation lawyer about other options might need to be considered.

You need to do what is necessary to take care of yourself and live your best life, and that includes making sure you have enough money to do that.


Popular Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending Articles

Find a Lawyer   /   Ask a Question   /   Articles   /   About    Contact  

© Copyright 2022 | Attorney at Law Magazine | Privacy Policy