If you have been involved in an accident at a construction site, then you definitely must have experienced lots of financial and medical issues. Deciding whether you should have a construction accident lawyer will obviously cross your mind amid all the chaos you might have undergone. Although the answer will be based on the situation at hand, it’s always yes.
Questions to Ask
Many lawyers offer short and free consultations to determine if they can sufficiently handle your case. Before deciding to talk with a prospective construction accident attorney, it is essential to have detailed facts and information about the construction accident and all of the injuries. You should also have sufficient details in regards to the financial losses you have incurred.
It is also important to carry with you the employment contract or any other paperwork when visiting the attorney. They might also be interested in seeing any photographic images of the scene of your injuries, records of the days you missed work, the medical records, among a host of other things. These will assist the lawyer in determining your case’s merit and give you the best initial steps to undertake.
It would be best if you only looked for a construction accident lawyer who is well versed with the specific national and state workplace transportation, safety, product liability, and the negligence laws. The lawyer should know how to effectively deal with the workers’ compensation in-depth, and not forgetting the health care and insurance firms.
It is also imperative for the lawyer to know how to prepare and settle the case at hand in the most effective manner. As the consultations get underway, there are specific preliminary questions that you should ask the lawyer. They will help you in knowing the attorney in more depth and even the experience he/she has had over the time they have been practicing.
Here are some of the fundamental questions that you should ask the construction accident lawyer:
- It would be best if you asked them how long they have been in practice. Once they have answered that, go ahead and inquire how long they have been involved with a construction accident case
- It is also vital to know the percentage of their practice that is devoted to the construction accident cases that they handle. They should tell you the number of construction accident cases that they have successfully handled. On that note, inquire how often they have settled. Did they have to go through litigation?
- The lawyer should also give you the typical settlement range for a case like yours
- The other important question to ask the construction accident lawyer is their fee structure. They should be able to explain to you the kind of out-of-pocket expenses that you will be required to pay. Such cases can be taken on contingency, which implies that failure to win earns the lawyer absolutely nothing. However, if you are lucky to win, you will pay the lawyer a particular amount, such as between 30 to 40%
- The last question to ask them is if they have references
To avoid costly mistakes, it is imperative to hire a construction accident lawyer early in the process. The deadline for filing the claims can vary from state to state.