In a 2017 statistical report, there were 4,889 buses and large trucks involved in fatal crashes, which is a 9 percent increase from the cases in 2016. From 2016 to 2017, the mortality for large trucks and buses increased by 6.8 percent per 100 million miles traveled.
A truck accident can lead to severe traumatic injuries because of the vehicle sized involved. There’s higher vulnerability than accidents involving smaller vehicles, including spinal cord injuries, total paralysis, brain damage, and even death.
Being involved in a semi-truck or truck accident should entail hiring someone who can fight for the maximum settlement for you. Thus, the need to call a truck accident lawyer.
In this post, you’ll learn some helpful tips to find a good truck accident lawyer.
Check Available Local Truck Accident Lawyers
First, it’s important to find a semi truck accident lawyer who’s available in your local area. You can find a couple of lawyers who handles personal injury cases, but not everyone specialized in handling truck accident cases.
Once you have a couple of personal injury lawyers on your list, you can narrow down your options by knowing who among them have tried handling truck accident claims.
Here’s how you can find a local truck accident lawyer:
- Get Referrals: You can get referrals of prospective personal injury lawyers from family, friends, and trusted neighbors and colleagues.
- Search Online: Google and other search engines can help you find available truck accident lawyers by entering the search keywords “YOUR PLACE + truck accident lawyer near me.”
- Check Social Media: Social media is also a great platform to find local truck lawyers. Just like search engines, you can type in “Truck accident lawyer in + YOUR PLACE.”
Find an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer
Since this scope of the law is broad, it’s safe to say that not all personal injury lawyers are the same. Hence, aim to work with an experienced truck accident attorney who has a good training background and experience. It’s important to ask important questions to gauge the experience and expertise of a truck accident lawyer.
Hiring an experienced truck accident lawyer will give you peace of mind and assurance that an expert will handle your case – someone who knows the ins and outs of a truck accident case. If you want to win a truck accident case, you have to choose an experienced truck accident lawyer or an attorney with years of experience handling truck accident claims.
Here are some questions to know the experience of a truck accident lawyer:
- How long have you been handling truck accident cases in this area?
- What was the result of the last truck accident case you’ve handled?
- What do you think is the best legal option for my case?
- Is it always best to agree to a settlement offer or fight the case to court?
Know the Good Qualities of A Truck Accident Lawyer
Aside from educational background and experience, it’s also important to assess the soft skills of your prospective truck accident attorney. You should work with someone who has good communication and negotiation skills, someone who can express your needs and preferences, or the things you want to achieve in filing a claim.
Here are the good qualities of a truck accident lawyer:
- Excellent Problem-solving Skills: Choose a truck accident lawyer with excellent problem-solving skills. You can ask a question that’ll test this skill, such as “If you were in my position, what do you think is the best legal action to do?” or “What makes a truck accident case different from a car accident case?”.
- Good Listening Skills: A good truck accident lawyer is keen on details and has good listening skills. By considering this quality, you’ll feel more comfortable narrating what happened, ask questions, and ventilate any legal concerns.
- Great Interest in Your Case: Choose a truck accident lawyer who shows eagerness in handling your case. Even without narrating your case, an interested lawyer will share their experience in handling truck accident cases and will be very excited to share with your results.
Good lawyers share their expertise online through video marketing via YouTube. You can watch YouTube videos and find out the best truck accident lawyers whom you can add to your shortlist. You’ll observe how a lawyer talks and explains things by sharing their expertise and experience.
Take Advantage of the Initial Free Consultation
During the free initial consultation, you can take this opportunity to ask relevant questions or interview your prospective truck accident lawyer. As already mentioned, you can ask questions to prove the expertise and experience of a truck accident lawyer.
In addition to the ones stated above, you can also ask other questions pertaining to:
- Case Management: Don’t hesitate to ask who’ll be handling your truck accident case. You want to ensure that it won’t be delegated to an inexperienced junior lawyer.
Although a senior lawyer may delegate other tasks to the junior lawyer, you want to ensure that your case will be handled by an expert and experienced lawyer.
- Communication Channels: It’s also important to know the best channel to communicate or ask updates about the status of your truck accident claim.
A good lawyer will be flexible to your needs and would give you many communications options based on your needs.
- Legal Due Process: You can ask anything to your truck accident lawyer, including the possible outcome of your case and whether or not you should accept a settlement or if it’s better to wait and take the case in court.
- Employment: A truck accident lawyer will ensure that your employer is also updated about the case if you work for a company as a truck driver or you’re a victim of car and truck collision accident. You’ll be assisted to contact your employer to let them know about your situation and if you need to take indefinite leave while the case is being resolved.
Finding a good semi-truck accident attorney is easier than ever since you can check search engines or social media, ask referrals from family and friends, and check review sites.
Also, you can find the best truck accident lawyer by considering the good qualities, experience, and specialization of your prospective accident lawyer.