Motorcycle riding is fun but poses higher risks as compared to other motor vehicles. First of all, you’re exposed to direct impact with less stability than four-wheeled vehicles. The road conditions in New York make motorcyclists more prone to accidents most especially during spring. Motorcycle accidents happen due to construction or poor roadway maintenance.
But when should you hire a motorcycle accident lawyer? Continue reading below to find out the answer.
You Have Sustained Serious Injuries
A Syracuse motorcycle accident lawyer knows the different rules and policies regarding motorcycle insurance. Because motorcycle insurance and liability rules differ from cars, hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer is a crucial step. If you have sustained serious injuries, an expert and experienced motorcycle lawyer can help you obtain the just compensation you deserve.
Most motorcyclists don’t have the “no-fault” insurance usually required for cars. When you’re hurt in a car accident, one cannot sue the negligent or at-fault driver unless the victim has suffered a severe injury. However, if you’re injured in a motorcycle accident, you can file a claim or lawsuit against the at-fault driver for minor injuries.
You Don’t Know Much About the Legal Process
New York Motorcyclists are usually ill-informed about the type of insurance applicable for motorcycles, so most are underinsured. A motorcycle accident attorney can give you expert advice about the best motorcycle insurance you need, so check greenereid.com to find out more.
If your accident is brought about by a road defect, a motorcycle accident lawyer can help. You will be assisted on how to file a claim against the town, city, county, or the state that is owning and maintaining the roadway. Substantial evidence will be gathered to prove the improperly constructed or poorly maintained roadway caused the accident, for instance, due to a lack of warning signs.
Here’s some of the expert advice you’ll get from a motorcycle accident lawyer:
- Under New York law, nobody should blame you for your injuries merely because you choose to ride a motorcycle.
- You have the right to be driving on the roadway on your bike.
- Other motorists should respect your right of way.
- Know the next actionable steps after filing a claim.
The Insurance Company Offers a Very Low Amount of Compensation
If the insurance company doesn’t provide a fair amount of compensation or denied the claim, you need to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer. By choosing the best lawyer to represent you, there’s a higher chance of success in your motorcycle accident case.
You Cannot Negotiate or Represent Yourself
Many people would need legal support because of old age, medical condition, or they are simply too busy to attend to legal matters. Hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you negotiate with the insurance company and represent you before the court.
Before hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer, here are important factors you have to consider:
- Experience: Find a trusted and reliable motorcycle accident attorney who knows the legal system. Choose someone who fought for their clients in a courtroom in the past and had won several successful motorcycle lawsuits.
- Reputation: Choose a lawyer with a proven track record of getting the best results for the clients they represent.
- Personality: This aspect is usually overlooked. It’s important to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer that you’ll get along with. It’s crucial to have someone who will give you updates, return your calls, and answer your questions in an approachable way.
More Than Two Parties Are Involved
A motorcycle accident case gets more complicated if there are more parties involved. For instance, bystanders and passengers were injured in a car and motorcycle collision. You need to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer to handle your case.
Here are the benefits of hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer:
- Working with someone familiar with the laws involving motorcycle accidents guides you through the steps of the legal process.
- Claim litigation or mediation can make a lawsuit complicated. Avoid being taken advantage of by the insurance company by hiring a good motorcycle accident lawyer.
- A motorcycle accident lawyer would know how much your claim is worth so you’ll be properly compensated.
- A skilled and experienced motorcycle lawyer will negotiate, prioritize your best interests, and fight for your rights.
If your personal injury claim goes to trial, your motorcycle accident lawyer will be able to help by handling the courtroom and fighting the insurance company for you to receive the best offer.
If you want to have a successful personal injury case, you have to work with a trusted and reputable motorcycle accident lawyer. If you have sustained serious physical injuries or there are multiple parties involved in a motorcycle accident, it is best to hire a personal injury lawyer. The same is true if you cannot represent yourself or don’t know much about the legalities involved in such an incident.