Dallas Criminal Defense Attorney
- Vetted by Attorney at Law Magazine
- Knowledgeable & Reliable
- Ready to Help in Dallas
- Contributor to Attorney at Law Magazine
Attorney at Law Magazine’s Dallas Workers' Compensation Local Legal Authority.
Your Dallas Criminal Defense Attorney
About Phillip Linder
Criminal defense attorney Phillip Linder is the founder and managing partner of The Linder Firm based in Dallas, Texas.
How Phillip became a lawyer. From a very young age, Phillip became drawn to the criminal justice system. “My father was involved in the federal criminal justice system for his entire career as a federal agent for the Treasury Department. Growing up, I was always around lawyers, judges and law enforcement. Each day it was a different case or a different challenge. It was never the same thing over and over.”
He was naturally drawn to that kind of career. Plus, he liked having the opportunity to help people if he worked hard.
Why Phillip chose to practice criminal defense. From his days watching his father and his colleagues in the federal criminal justice system, Phillip knew that was the practice for him. As soon as he graduated from Baylor University School of Law in 1991, he went to work for the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office. For four years, he worked tirelessly as an assistant district attorney.
While Phillip was given the opportunity to try more than 100 jury trials to verdict in those years, he also became disillusioned.
“Defendants were often backed into a corner and felt compelled to take a plea deal because they couldn’t afford to properly defend themselves. Defendants walking into criminal court at a disadvantage because they are going up against all the manpower and resources of the state or federal government.”
So, 25 years ago, Phillip, handed in his resignation and opened up his own criminal defense firm so he could better arm those defendants.
“I knew I could make a difference.”
Phillip’s philosophy for criminal defense. “Work hard and practice with integrity. Be patient and realize that the long game is usually more important than the short game.”
He learned early on that you need to look at a case from many different angles and decide early on where you want the case to be when it is all over. “Is it a guilt/innocence case? A punishment mitigation case? Once you’ve decided on a goal, you cannot become distracted from the path to accomplishing that end result.”
The origins of The Linder Firm. Before attending law school, Phillip earned finance, entrepreneurship and accounting degrees from Baylor. “I have always been an entrepreneur at heart.”
As he entered law school, he knew that he would eventually open his own firm. In 1996, when he left the Dallas County District Attorney’s Office, to step across the aisle and represent defendants, he took that opportunity.
“I have grown the firm to more than 20 lawyers. I am lucky to have found a group of people – lawyers and support staff alike – who share my same business ideals and who work hard and with integrity.”
The highlight of Phillip’s workday. For Phillip, it is the new challenges brought each day. “It can be mentally and physically taxing, but that makes the reward of achieving a great result for my client and helping them through a tough time in their life all the more worth it.”
Phillip in the community. Currently, Phillip sits on the boards for several local companies and practices pro bono work for members of the community. He also serves as a part-time judge in his city. He and his family are also heavily involved with their church.
Phillip outside the office. Phillip is a true outdoorsman. He enjoys hunting, fishing, camping and skiing. He and his family also travel as much as they can. His ultimate pastime, however, is cycling.
“I travel all around the country to do road bike races and tours.”
Attorney's Latest Articles
Understanding When to Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney in Dallas
If you or your loved one is facing a criminal charge in Dallas, Texas, it can be a nerve-wracking and intimidating time. Given the complexity of criminal laws and the potentially severe consequences, an experienced Dallas criminal lawyer is essential to navigating through this uncertain time. Below, we provide some basic information about criminal law, including when and how a top Dallas criminal attorney can be most useful.
What are Criminal Charges?
At its simplest, an individual faces criminal charges when they have committed a crime; a crime is any act committed or omitted that violates a public law. The laws of each state will define these forbidden acts. Crimes will generally fall into one of the following categories:
- Felony: Felonies are the most severe level of crime, generally punishable by imprisonment for more than a year, in addition to any fines. Examples of crimes that are considered felonies include murder, arson, and sexual assault.
- Misdemeanor: Misdemeanors are lesser crimes, generally resulting in prison sentences of less than a year and lesser fines. Examples of misdemeanors include trespassing and vandalism.
- Infraction: Infractions are minor or petty crimes that normally do not result in jail time. Examples include moving violations such as speeding or running a red light.
While each of the above categories of crimes come with different potential punishments, each can have a significant impact on an individual's life.
How an Attorney Can Help
If you are facing criminal charges, you should contact a criminal defense attorney in Dallas, as soon as possible. Regardless of whether you have committed some wrongdoing or if you are completely innocent, a licensed legal practitioner will be an invaluable resource throughout the criminal process.
A criminal lawyer in Dallas can assist in all facets of the criminal process. They can help you:
- Ensure Your Rights are Protected. You may have heard the recitation of Miranda rights in movies or TV shows – including the right to an attorney. This is considered an essential right to those facing criminal charges, because a lawyer can ensure a charged individual receives all the rights they are due under the law.
- Understand the Legal Process. Criminal attorneys know the ins and outs of the legal process for criminal cases. They can assist you in any preliminary hearings, ensure your bail is set at a reasonable amount, and confirm that all legal procedures are being properly followed by the police and the prosecutor.
- Create Defense Strategy. Lawyers who work in criminal law have significant experience strategizing the most effective way to handle a case. This often includes striking deals with the prosecution and securing lesser sentences.
- Understand Case Precedent. One important tool in a successful criminal case is past case law. If there are past cases where a similarly-situated defendant overcame criminal charges, an attorney can use this to persuade a judge or jury that you should see the same result.
As you or your loved one determines the next steps for handling criminal charges, the best Dallas attorney will be an invaluable asset. The criminal legal process can present unexpectedly complicated twists and turns, where a wrong step could result in serious limitations on your personal liberty.
Reach out today to schedule an appointment to discuss your legal needs and the availability of Phillip Linder to handle your matter.
How We Select a
Local Legal Authority
Contributor to Magazine
The attorney must contribute valuable articles about their practice area to share with our readers in the Legal Advice section.
Maintain a 4+ Consumer Rating
The attorney must maintain a Google review rating of 4 or more stars.
Practice Law for 5+ Years
The attorney must have been licensed to practice law for at least five years and must have maintained an active practice.