Attorney Brian G. Winter practices probate law, estate planning, divorce and family law. Three years after joining Stewart Law Group as an associate attorney in 2017, Winter rose to firm partner. Equally skilled in negotiation, mediation, and litigation, he helps his probate clients navigate what are often sensitive, difficult matters.
Winter earned his BA in Government and Politics (1990) from St. John’s University in Queens and his JD (1993) from St. John's University School of Law. In 1994, he was admitted to practice law in New York (registered), Florida (inactive), and Connecticut (active) and US District Court, District of Connecticut.
In 2014, he was licensed in Arizona and became a member of the State Bar of Arizona, Scottsdale Bar Association, and Maricopa County Bar Association (on the MCBA Board of Directors in 2016).
Because of the importance of ADR in probate proceedings, Winter's extensive background in mediation and collaborative law is of great benefit to clients. Cooperative settlement helps minimize the emotional impact of probate and can save costs by avoiding expensive trial preparation.
In 2010, Winter was certified by the Connecticut judicial branch for assignment as GAL/Attorney for Minor Children. As such, he was directly involved in appointment of guardians and conservators of individuals alleged incompetent or incapable of meeting their own day-to-day needs. GALs in Arizona are also court-appointed. In 2011, he completed 40-hours of mediation training with the Center for Understanding Conflict and advanced training with the Center for Mediation in Law. His keen insight, complex problem-solving, and extensive knowledge of non-litigation dispute resolution is invaluable.
Avvo-rated 10-of-10, Winter has received professional recognition from the:
- American Institute of Legal Counsel - 10 Best Estate Planning Attorney (2020, 2018, 2017)
- Lead Counsel - Lead Counsel Rated in Family Law (2015)
- Lawyers of Distinction - Lawyers of Distinction Award (2017)
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys - 10 Best Attorney (2020, 2019)
- Attorney and Practice Magazine - Top 10 Estate Planning Attorneys (2019)
- Avvo - 5 Star Clients' Choice Award (2017), Client's Choice Award (2016), and Clients' Choice Award for Divorce (2015)
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys - Top Ten Ranking (2016)
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys - 10 Best Family Law Attorneys (2016)