Denver Divorce Attorney
- Vetted by Attorney at Law Magazine
- Knowledgeable & Reliable
- Ready to Help in Denver
- Contributor to Attorney at Law Magazine
Attorney at Law Magazine’s Denver Divorce Local Legal Authority.
About Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog is the co-founder and managing partner of Plog & Stein P.C. He has practiced law since 1998 and focused solely on divorce and family law since 2001.
What drew Stephen to become a lawyer. During his undergraduate studies at New Mexico State University, Stephen enrolled in several government classes and ended up pursuing a supplemental pre-law minor. He continued his education in government studies and public administration before ultimately deciding the law was the career for him. He earned his Juris Doctor from Qunnipiac University School of Law in Hamden, Connecticut, in 1997.
“I realized the most viable way to help people and potentially make changes to better society as a whole would be to serve as an attorney. Aside from academics, I had always been good at arguing. Moreover, as a movie fan, I enjoyed seeing courtroom drama on the big and small screens.”
What drew Stephen to the practice of divorce law. Stephen relocated to Denver after law school, and opened a law firm with his twin brother. In 1999, after meeting Laura Stein, the firm Plog & Stein P.C. was officially formed. It didn’t take him long to find his niche.
Within a few years of opening his firm, the majority of Stephen’s caseload was divorce and child custody. They decided for focus their practice exclusively on divorce and family law matters.
“While hanging my own shingle was a risk, it ultimately led me to family law. This was the area in which we could have the greatest positive impact on people’s lives and obtain tangible results for them.”
The philosophy Stephen brings to the practice of divorce law. For Stephen and his firm, they approach each case with the goal of delivering an outcome as close to their clients’ objectives as possible. Stephen believes this is best accomplished through a keen understanding of the law, thorough preparation and honest communication and advisement of the client.
“The practice of law is really about one thing, obtaining results for clients. I also believe that the practice of law needs to be direct and efficient. It’s about substance over style, not the other way around. I have always been very big on trying to cut out as much of the pomp and circumstance of practicing, believing efficiency is key to good representation. That said, the quality of an attorney’s work should never be diminished for the sake of frugality.”
The inspiration for Plog & Stein P.C. Even in law school, Stephen knew he wanted to chart his own course. He knew he would launch his own firm and be able to choose the type of work he did, the cases he handled and the clients he represented. Over his 23 years of practice, he has never worked for anyone other than himself.
“As the Frank Sinatra song goes, ‘I did it my way …’”
Some of Stephen’s professional accomplishments. He has argued a case before the Colorado Supreme Court and set a new legal precedent tied into common law marriage in Colorado. He has grown his firm over the course of his career and they have plans to open an office in Florida this year.
“Truthfully, I’m most proud of each and every instance in which we (myself and our attorneys) have gotten a favorable outcome for a client in a contentious case. Nothing feels better than getting a just result for a client and truly helping them as they move on with their lives.”
Stephen in the community. Stephen and the attorneys at Plog & Stein P.C. frequently volunteer at free legal clinics, offering advice to those who are unable to afford an attorney. “It’s nice to be able to give back some time and advice to those in need.”
Stephen also serves on the domestic relations best practices committee in one of the Denver area courts. Outside of the law, Stephen is an animal lover and donates to local rescue organizations as well as individuals in need of financial help for their pets.
Stephen outside of the office. He is devoted to his family. “Nothing matters more.” He also enjoys traveling with his family around the country and the world, believing seeing new places and cultures makes for a well-rounded perspective. He also enjoys golf and the study of languages.
“With each new country I visit, I immerse myself in a few weeks of studying and practicing the language.”
Attorney's Latest Articles
Getting a Divorce in Denver
From a legal standpoint, getting married is often far easier than getting divorced. Between ensuring that there is an equitable division of property, determining parenting time, dividing retirement accounts, and other formalities, the process of divorce can be both expensive and time-consuming. While many people can, and do, undertake this process without a divorce attorney in Denver, there are a number of specific items involved that can use an attorney's legal experience.
A Glimpse of Marriage and Divorce in the U.S.
In spite of an often-quoted statistic that half of all U.S. marriages end in divorce, the divorce rate is actually dropping and now stands at about 39 percent, according to a 2018 article from Time. However, it isn't because the millennials---who have now entered adulthood, the workplace, and even matrimony---have found the key to a long-lasting relationship. It is, rather, that they're delaying marriage, with recent Census figures revealing that the average age for a first marriage is around 30 for men and 28 for women. In 2003, these ages were 27 and 25 respectively. The frequently cited reason for delaying marriage is to gain financial security first, the article notes, adding that many couples are choosing to cohabitate rather than marry.
Reasons to Hire a Divorce Lawyer in Denver
Denver divorce attorneys fall into a legal practice area known as family law. Family law is focused on assisting individuals with legal matters pertaining to family relationships. In addition to divorce, family law also covers annulment, child custody and visitation, as well as adoption. Some of the reasons people seek the help of an experienced Denver divorce attorney include:
- They don't wish to navigate the legal arena themselves. The legalities of divorce involve a lot of paperwork and timelines. A top Denver divorce lawyer, is well educated and trained to deal with this type of work.
- There are children involved in the marriage. Divorcing with children involves a lot of provisions, such as which parent the child will primarily reside with; a parenting schedule that covers the school year, summer vacation, and holidays; and child support, along with other considerations.
- You and your spouse disagree on some matters that must be decided, such as child custody or division of assets. It is important if there are disagreements that you don't try to settle those disagreements in court without a lawyer to assist you, particularly if your spouse has a lawyer.
- Your case is complex, due to high-value assets or business ownership.
- You or your spouse has a retirement plan. Often these plans are considered a marital asset and will need to be divided equitably through a Qualified Domestic Relations Order.
- Your spouse is not sharing all of his or her financial information with you. Because many things such as equitable division of assets or expenses and the determination of spousal maintenance relies on your finances, if you are having difficulty obtaining this information, a lawyer can help.
- You or your spouse will need maintenance support. The laws in your state may help you determine how much this support will be or how long it will last. Your divorce lawyer understands the complexities surrounding spousal maintenance.
- You have real estate. Selling a home during a divorce can be a tricky situation that needs the expertise of someone trained in family law. Additionally, if you or your spouse wishes to live in the house for a time after the divorce, this impacts the division of your marital property in ways that an attorney can help you understand.
Reach out today to schedule an appointment to discuss your legal needs and the availability of Stephen J. Plog to handle your matter.
How We Select a
Local Legal Authority
Contributor to Magazine
The attorney must contribute valuable articles about their practice area to share with our readers in the Legal Advice section.
Maintain a 4+ Consumer Rating
The attorney must maintain a Google review rating of 4 or more stars.
Practice Law for 5+ Years
The attorney must have been licensed to practice law for at least five years and must have maintained an active practice.