What steps should I take after a truck accident in Los Angeles?
- Call 911 immediately and report your accident to the police.
- Collect information consisting of:
- eye witness statements (ask witnesses to stay until police arrive)
- photos of all damages to both vehicles
- photos of all injuries
- insurance information of all parties
- commercial company information
- license plate information (take photo)
- drivers license information (take a photo)
- Seek medical care for any injuries. If you have a significant injury, call an ambulance right away! Additionally, a doctor, physical therapy, and chiropractor appointment are strongly recommended. Injuries like back and neck pain can sometimes take a few days to set in.
- Never admit fault for the accident or speak with the other party's insurance company. Their insurance company is not out to help you.
- Call a truck accident attorney as soon as possible. If you did not proceed with any of the steps above, we recommend doing so.
Why do I need a top Los Angeles truck accident attorney?
Truck accident attorneys help identify the at-fault parties, collect all the evidence, communicate with the insurance representatives, and apply information and knowledge to help you get the best settlement!
What damages can I receive compensation for?
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Future lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
What do I need to prove to win my truck accident injury case?
You need proof the responsible party acted negligently or recklessly, and that act caused the accident resulting in your injuries.
Who can be held responsible or liable for a truck accident?
- Truck driver
- Truck owner
- Trucking company
- Cargo loader
- Parts manufacturer
- Truck maintenance provider
How is fault determined in a truck accident case?
- Damages to your vehicle
- Police report (witness statements and video footage, especially a dashcam, can be very powerful)
- Medical reports
- Drug and alcohol reports
What are common types of truck accident cases in Los Angeles?
- Head-on collision
- Rear-end collision
- Wide turns
- Lost loads
- Wrongful death
How long does a truck accident injury case last in Los Angeles?
There are a couple of factors when estimating how long your truck accident injury case will take. Depending on if the case settles out-of-court, your case can take four months to a year to settle. If the case goes to litigation, the trial could last a year to five years to settle. The primary component that prolongs the trial is how long it takes for your injuries to heal. You do not want to rush a case until you have an idea of the entire injury you have endured and the expectancy of future injuries to come from this one.
What are the major causes of truck accidents?
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Driving over limits
- Dangerous roadways
- Dangerous weather conditions
- Equipment failure
- Impaired driving
- Untrained drivers
- The load was too big
- The load was improperly loaded/secured
What are common types of truck accident injuries?
- Spinal cord
- Traumatic brain injury
- Back & neck injuries
- Crush wounds
- Internal injury
- Broken bones/fractures