Despite years of public awareness campaigns and stiff criminal penalties, Hub drivers continue to make the tragic and reckless decision to get behind the wheel after having had too much to drink. In the crashes that inevitably follow, innocent Bostonians suffer catastrophic and fatal injuries that leave them in their families in severe physical, emotional, and financial pain.
As lawyers for these victims, we will never stop shining a spotlight on the continuing tragedy of alcohol-related crashes in Boston and the harm they cause. While our efforts may not put an end to the scourge of drunk driving, we can help victims secure the compensation they need while they regain their health and rebuild their lives.
Boston Alcohol-Related Accident Statistics
Amid the bleak and devastating toll of drunk driving crashes in Boston, we can report a glimmer of good news. According to official tallies, over the past two decades, alcohol-related crashes in the Hub have been on a generally downward trajectory. On average, Boston alcohol-related crashes are about half as common as they were at their 2006 peak of 23,918, and despite a troubling uptick a few years ago, they reached their lowest total in recent memory, with fewer than 7,000 reported in the most recent year for which statistics are available.
Sadly, that downward trend takes nothing away from the pain inflicted on innocent Boston drunk driving accident victims and their families. Tragically, alcohol-impaired drivers cause roughly 40 percent of all fatalities in Boston, according to federal data. A disturbingly high number of those deaths happen in the morning and early afternoon, whether other drivers on the road least expect to encounter a drunk driver.
The Physical Toll of Alcohol-Related Accidents
Victims of Boston drunk drivers who survive an accident rarely escape unharmed.
Instead, they frequently suffer severe injuries that alter the course of their lives, such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries that leave them struggling with lasting motor, cognitive, and emotional impairments;
- Spinal cord injuries that paralyze their bodies, shatter their dreams, and saddle them with massive expenses;
- Limbs lost to traumatic and surgical amputation, leaving them to rely on prosthetic devices for the rest of their lives;
- Severe lacerations that sever nerves and cause disfiguring scars;
- Internal injuries and organ damage that leads to lifelong health complications that change how victims eat, sleep, and manage their day-to-day routines; and
- Soft tissue and orthopedic injuries that, even after they technically heal, cause chronic pain and limited mobility that prevents victims from working and enjoying life.
No one deserves to suffer these and other injuries in any car accident, least of all innocent victims of reckless Boston drunk drivers and the families and loved ones who must care for them.
Compensation for Boston Drunk Driving Accident Victims
Bostonians deserve compensation for the harm inflicted on them by a drunk driver. With the help of an experienced Boston drunk driving accident injury lawyer, they can take legal action to get it.
Legal Liability in Hub Alcohol-Related Crashes
In representing victims of Boston alcohol-related motor vehicle accidents, experienced lawyers take the time to identify all parties who may have a legal liability to the victims for money damages.
Those parties may include:
- Drunk drivers, who by definition have engaged in reckless and illegal conduct for which they should be held accountable;
- Employers of drunk drivers who crash work vehicles, especially if the employer knew the employee might drink and drive;
- Bars and restaurants in and around Boston that serve alcohol to intoxicated patrons who go on to cause a drunk driving accident; and
- Other individuals, companies, and government entities, if their unreasonably dangerous decisions or actions contributed to the cause of the crash (even if that contribution had nothing to do with the driver being drunk).
These are just some examples of who can owe money to victims of a Boston drunk driver. The most reliable way for victims of Hub drunk driving accidents to learn who owes them compensation for their injuries and losses is to consult with an experienced Boston alcohol-related accident attorney.
Compensation for Boston Alcohol-Related Crash Injuries
No lawyer can promise that a drunk driving accident victim in Boston will recover compensation by taking legal action. However, victims frequently have the right and ability to secure compensation, with the right legal help.
Every Boston drunk driving accident legal claim has unique features.
However, in general, victims can often seek to recover payment for:
- Past and future medical expense related to their injuries;
- Other expenses they incur because of the accident and their injuries;
- Past and future lost wages caused by missing work or suffering a disabling injury;
- Pain and suffering inflicted by the injury, including emotional struggles, harm to personal relationships, and a diminished quality of life; and
- In some cases, punitive damages that aim to punish the drunk driver or anyone else legally required to answer for the crash.
The amount of compensation a victim (or deceased victim’s family) might recover through legal action can vary widely, depending on the nature and severity of their injuries and the identity of the party or parties who owe them money. Victims can give themselves the best possible chance of securing maximum compensation, however, by hiring an experienced Boston alcohol-related crash injury attorney as soon as possible.
You Can Seek Compensation Even if the Drunk Driver Has Not Been Prosecuted
Massachusetts has strict laws against driving under the influence of alcohol. Drunk drivers frequently face mandatory minimum jail terms, fines, and loss of their driving privileges.
However, not all drunk drivers necessarily face criminal justice. Many do, but some may avoid prosecution, plea bargain their way down to a minor conviction, or find a way to beat the charge.
The criminal penalties Boston alcohol-impaired drivers may (or may not) face, however, should not and usually do not affect the legal rights of the drivers’ victims to seek compensation by taking legal action. Even if the drunk driver who injured you or a loved one got off with a slap on the wrist, you can still likely seek money damages against the lawyer and anyone else who may owe you damages.
Contact a skilled, experienced Boston alcohol-related accident injury lawyer today to learn more.