David Shapiro is the founder and managing partner of David Shapiro Law PLLC, a Scottsdale personal injury law firm. Born and raised in Scottsdale, he attended the University of Arizona for his undergraduate degree before enrolling in Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor School of Law where he earned his Juris Doctor in 2010.
David has earned countless multimillion-dollar results for his personal injury clients over the last decade of service.
How David became a lawyer. David had plans to become a talent and sports agent. As law school was a prerequisite, David applied to ASU law school. Once school began, however, he quickly learned he was built to be a civil litigator.
Switching his career goals, David dove into the practice of law. He tried and won a few jury trials while still enrolled in school and clerked for several superior court judges.
After he passed the bar, he was taken on at Luis P. Guerra LLC.
Why David chose to practice personal injury law. David knew he would be a personal injury attorney when he went to a court hearing with his former boss and mentor, Luis Guerra.
They were representing a paraplegic who had fallen off a 22-foot ladder at a construction jobsite. The lawsuit was filed against the general contractor who was supposed to be monitoring the jobsite’s safety plan. The general contractor’s argument was that the injured worker installed his own ladder and that it was his own fault. The general contractor filed a motion to dismiss the entire case, claiming that no reasonable jury could find that the general contractor caused the worker’s injury.
“At the hearing on the motion to dismiss, my former boss jumped on the jury rail. The presiding judge screamed at my former boss, telling him to ‘get down or you’ll get hurt.’ My former boss got down from the jury rail and said to the judge: ‘You see Your Honor? I was at 3 feet and you told me to get down and be safe. That is all I’m asking the general contractor to have done here – especially since my client was at 25 feet!’”
The judge agreed with their argument, denied the general contractor’s motion to dismiss, and the case was settled for significant amount a few months later.
“It changed our client’s life. From that moment on, I was hooked on personal injury law!”
David’s philosophy for personal injury law. “My philosophy is I never quit on my client’s case. The second I decide to accept their case, I treat them like family. The client always comes first. Always.”
The origins of David Shapiro LLC. David spent six years gaining valuable experience and learning the ins and outs of the practice. In 2017, he decided to take that knowledge and his passion to open David Shapiro LLC, a firm uniquely devoted to ensuring top-notch representation to more clients.
“I had always witnessed some incredible law firms with some of the best lawyers in town but they would only agree to take on significant cases. I felt that this was not fair to the rest of our community who also deserves the best of the best – even if they don’t have the biggest case with the largest financial reward at the end.”
The highlight of David’s workday. For David no day is ever the same and he loves it. He is able to collaborate with his team at David Shapiro Law LLC.
“Whether it’s brainstorming a unique fact pattern or finding ways to help a client secure a favorable out-of-court settlement, I can’t get enough of working with my whole team. The day always goes by too quickly.”
David in the community. David is a member of the Arizona Association for Justice, the American Association of Justice, the Attorney Information Exchange Group, the Maricopa County Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
He serves on the board of directors at Congregation Beth Israel – one of the largest and oldest synagogues in Arizona – as well as the board of directors of the Pearce Family Foundation – a charitable entity that provides financial resources to family’s in desperate need.
He is a fervent supporter of many organizations including Usher’s 1F – an organization dedicated to fighting deaf-blindness, Jewish Federation of Greater Phoenix, Jewish National Fund, HonorHealth Foundation and Dignity Health.
David’s proudest accomplishment. David took on a case that had been thrown out by the trial court days before trial. His client was a quadriplegic and was devastated by the court’s decision, especially since she’d declined a settlement offer from the defendant.
“My client never gave up on us. After two and a half years, we reversed the trial court’s dismissal and ultimately obtained a very favorable outcome for our client. There is nothing more rewarding than that.”
David outside the office. “Outside of work, my wife, Elizabeth, and our twin baby boys, Max and Hudson, take up about 99%. The other 1% is devoted to golf!”